This spring salmon feast is our take on the classic - but with bright citrus flavors and fresh herbaceous notes! Let the crumble bubble away while you enjoy cooking the rest of this ode to PNW spring!
Type: Complete Dinner Servings: 4 servings Kitchen Time: 45 minutes
In your Kit:
King or Sockeye Salmon
K&M Basil Parmesan Aioli
K&M Classic Rice Pilaf
K&M Asparagus with Everything Compound Butter
K&M Market Vinaigrette
K&M Frangipane Crumble
K&M Magic Pie Spice
K&M Whipped Cream
Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
RHUBARB FRANGIPANE CRUMBLE:
1) Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2) Chop rhubarb into 1-inch pieces avoiding the fibrous base and discarding top branches and any leaves.
3) Place rhubarb in an oven-safe dish that leaves at least 1-inch remaining to top of the pan – a loaf pan is perfect for this! Add magic pie spice and toss to coat. Sprinkle all the almond frangipane crumble on top of the filling.
4) Bake for 40-60 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender, juices are bubbling, and the crumble is golden brown (bake time will vary depending on your oven).
5) Allow to cool slightly while you’re enjoying dinner. Top with lots of whipped cream!
1) Mince ½ cup of shallot. In a small saucepan with a lid, melt 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil and sauté shallot until translucent.
2) Add pilaf mix and toast until golden brown.
3) Add 1½ cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes until rice is tender but not mushy.
4) Fluff with a fork before serving.
THE MAIN EVENT:
1) Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a robust boil (we recommend 2 Tbsp of salt per gallon of water) for the asparagus. Toss the everything butter into a serving bowl, breaking it up a bit.
2) Slice the orange and lemon into thin rings.
3) In another large, shallow pan with a lid, place the citrus and poaching herbs (thyme, bay, garlic cloves) along with ½ cup white wine if available, 2 cups water, and 2 tsp salt. Bring to a simmer.
4) Gently add the salmon to the pan, the liquid should just cover the fish, and return to just under a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
5) While the salmon poaches, add the asparagus to the large pot of boiling water and cook for 2-4 minutes until tender-crisp (take a bite mid-way through to test for the texture you like!). Immediately transfer asparagus into the serving bowl using tongs or a slotted spoon, shaking off excess water. Toss well with the everything butter and season with salt and pepper.
6) When ready, lift salmon from pan with a slotted spoon or spatula, draining off the poaching liquid. Serve alongside the basil parmesan aioli, prepared pilaf, and asparagus.
1) Slice the radishes and mix with the arugula.
2) Dress with desired mount of vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper.
3) Top with fried shallots and serve!
K&M Magic Pie Spice (sugar, food starch, cinnamon, ginger, sea salt, citric acid), K&M Frangipane Crumble (flour, butter, sugar, almonds paste, almonds, sea salt), K&M Whipped Cream (heavy cream, confectioners sugar), K&M Classic Rice Pilaf (basmati rice, sea salt, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, espelette chili, cumin), K&M Basil Parmesan Aioli (pesto [basil, canola oil, water, parmesan cheese, garlic, sea salt], mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice), K&M Asparagus with Everything Compound Butter (asparagus, k+m everything compound butter [butter, shallot, garlic, red wine vinegar, chive, parsley, maldon salt, black pepper]), K&M Market Vinaigrette (red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, garlic, sea salt, black pepper).
milk, eggs, tree nuts, wheat