There’s no cozier smell in the fall than a big pot of chili bubbling away. We love making ours on the stove top in a big dutch oven, but this recipe is excellent in a slow-cooker or instant-pot!
|Kitchen Time:||90 minutes|
Pairs Great With:
Fall Apple Crisp
- Yellow Onion
- Bell, Poblano, Jalapeño Peppers
- Ground Beef
- Sazón Spice Blend
- K&M Pomodoro Sauce
- K&M Seasoned Pinto Beans
- K&M Southern-Style Cornbread Mix
- Shredded Cheddar
- Sour Cream
- Beer (Optional)
1) Ready, set, chop! Medium dice the onion, bell and poblano peppers into ½ inch pieces (save the jalapeño for garnish). Mince 1 Tbsp garlic.
Chef’s Tip: This chili is gently spiced, so if you love heat, include the jalapeño when sautéing the other peppers or add a pinch of cayenne!
2) Brown the beef in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking. Once the meat has begun to brown, add all veggies along with 2 Tbsp sazón spice. Stir well and continue to sauté until the veggies have softened and your kitchen smells amazing (about 8-10 minutes).
3) Add the full jar of pomodoro sauce, pinto beans with its liquid, and ½ bottle of beer or ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil, cover with the lid ajar, and reduce to a simmer for 1 – 1 ½ hours.
4) While chili is cooking, prep your cornbread. Melt 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, then whisk into a bowl with 1 egg, 3/4 cup buttermilk. Stir in the dry mix. Pour into prepared muffin tins or a lightly oiled baking pan and bake at 375ºF for 12 minutes (muffins) or 35 minutes (loaf).
5) Thinly slice scallions and jalapeño in rings. Place shredded cheddar, sour cream, and chips into small bowls for tableside topping!
SLOW COOKER PREPARATION:
Follow steps 1-2 on the stove top then transfer the browned beef to your slow cooker. Add the beans, pomodoro sauce and beer and cook on high or low setting depending on how much time you have!
INSTANT POT PREPARATION:
Follow steps 1-3 using the sauté settings, then cover and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes and let pressure release naturally.
Sazón Spice Blend (sea salt, oregano, cumin, coriander, paprika, onion, cayenne), K&M Pomodoro Sauce (tomatoes, onion, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, sugar, oregano, sea salt, chili flakes), K&M Seasoned Pinto Beans (pinto beans, onion, garlic, canola oil, cumin, sea salt), K&M Cornbread Mix (corn meal, flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, baking soda).
milk, eggs, wheat