This pasta comes together quickly for a great weeknight meal for the family but don’t let the simplicity fool you, this dinner is rich in flavor!
|Kitchen Time:||30 minutes|
|Great with:||K&M Arugula Salad|
- K&M Pomodoro Sauce (24 oz jar)
- 1 lb. Fresh spaghetti
- 1 Onion
- 1 bulb Fennel
- Anchovy (1 Tbsp)
- Capers (1 Tbsp)
- Kalamata Olives (¼ cup)
- 1 lb. Peeled Shrimp (Optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Red Chili Flakes (Optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a robust boil and season generously with salt (it should taste like the sea; we suggest about 2 Tbsp per gallon of water).
- Chop the onion and fennel (make sure to remove the core of the fennel first) into ½” size pieces. You should have about 1 cup of each. Reserve a few fennel fronds for garnish.
- Place a pan large enough to hold your sauce and pasta over medium-high heat. Heat 3 Tbsp olive oil until just shimmering, add the onion and fennel and sauté until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp each: anchovy, capers and ¼ c olives (feel free to omit one or two of these if you are averse to the flavors, but it won’t be puttanesca without the briny taste!) and cook an additional 3 minutes. If you like it spicy, feel free to toss in ½ tsp of chili flakes!
- Add the pomodoro sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Keep at a slow simmer for an additional 10 minutes for all the flavors to meld. Check seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper, as desired. (This is the perfect time to add the shrimp if you opted for that!)
- Gently loosen the pasta by shaking it and discarding any excess semolina that may fall off. Add pasta to boiling water. This is a fresh, artisanal pasta so it will cook in about 3-4 minutes. Boil the pasta until it is cooked al dente (a slight chewy bite in the middle) then strain water out and transfer pasta immediately to the sauce.
- Cook pasta few minutes more in the sauce to meld the flavors, garnish with reserved fennel fronds and serve!